The end of every year is often marked with lists and milestones of the last twelve months, including many with names like “Top Celebrity Scandals of the Year,” or “Worst Celebrity Break-Ups of 2010.” Shockingly, many of the so-called biggest celebrity scandals this past year involved sexting and the consequential leaked photos or conversations, as well as other social networking mishaps. Here’s our completely social network-related list of Celeb Bloopers of 2010:
- Brett Favre – First, Favre sent an inappropriate photo to sports announcer Jenn Sterger. It then made headlines in October, and he’s been in the news for more than just football ever since. He was also recently fined $50,000 by the NFL for failure to cooperate in an investigation of the whole situation.
- Tony Parker – Parker didn’t just get in trouble with his wife, actress Eva Longoria Parker when she found hundreds of sexts on his phone between himself and another woman. He also got in trouble with his fellow San Antonio Spurs since his sexter in crime was the wife of former teammate Brent Barry.
- Perez Hilton – Celebrity blogger Hilton is known for his honest opinions about anyone in the spotlight. But he got a little too honest when he posted a picture of Miley Cyrus on his Twitter account of her getting out of a car wearing a skirt and not much else. Now he might face charges for child pornography, since Cyrus was underage.
- Miley Cyrus – Speaking of Miley, after being filmed by a friend while using a bong, the video immediately went viral. While she was supposedly smoking a natural and legal herb called salvia, most of Cyrus’ fans are young kids and teens and this damage to her online reputation shouldn’t be the image she wants to convey to them.
- Kat Dennings – In November, there were nude pictures leaked all over the Internet of this young actress. The pictures were very low quality and were probably taken with a cell phone to be used in a racy text message.
- Jennifer Mee – True, the Hiccup Girl isn’t necessarily your standard celebrity. But she has been famous not only for her incessant hiccups but her more recent involvement in a robbery gone wrong. After reaching out to a young man on MySpace, Mee then lured the victim to a house where her friends robbed and eventually murdered him. This incident truly highlighted one of the rare but extreme dangers of social networking.
- Zac Effron & Vanessa Hudgens – Effron and Hudgens were photographed with a fan in a sex shop and the pictures showed up all over the Internet, as well as helped the fan win a “Best Fan Meeting Picture” contest. While their visit to the store was obvious legal, like Cyrus, these celebrities are primarily popular with kids…but they still posed for the inappropriate photos.
- Anna Faris – Faris revealed her biggest oversharing blunder when she discussed in an interview how she had accidentally sent a racy text to her dad. In a text meant for husband on their scheduled “Wednesday sexting day,” Faris selected the wrong recipient of her sext.
- Willow Palin – After the premiere of her mom’s new TLC show, Palin took criticism of the show to heart and lashed out online. When a family acquaintance made fun of the show, Palin went too far with her Facebook posts by using homophobic and other cruel slurs in an angry and inappropriate defense of her family.
- Hilary Duff – Duff, yet another celebrity with a generally younger fan base, revealed her sexting habits with her husband in a radio interview. Even though Duff claimed she never sends a naked text “with my face in it,” that doesn’t mean sexting is in any way safe or smart.
All of these mishaps are perfect examples of what our kids should NOT be using technology for. Damage to online reputation, cyberbullying, and explicit photos sent either via text or online are all incredibly common incidents. By understanding the truly dangerous implications these actions can have (ahem, Perez Hilton), our kids can realize how the above actions are in no way worth it.
What other shocking social networking mishaps have you heard of?